HP OpenVMS Systems

ask the wizard
Content starts here

Forced Device Deallocation?

» close window

The Question is:

is there a utility to release a device (like a tape device) from the control of
 a hung process, such that the device may then be used by other processes.

The Answer is :

  Please contact the support center, as wresting control of a device
  is not without a degree of peril.  Details on the wedged process
  will be of interest.
  For assistance unwedging processes stuck in various wait states,
  please consider installing and using the (licensed with OpenVMS)
  Availability Manager or AMDS package.

answer written or last revised on ( 5-MAR-2003 )

» close window